Inspiration for the Creative Entrepreneur
If you're anything like me, which you must be a little bit to be reading this, then you love to read and become inspired by other's words. And you're an entrepreneur or an aspiring entrepreneur. Along the way, I have collected some quotes that have inspired me. I thought I would share a few of my favorites...
1. “The secret to life is to put yourself in the right lighting. For some, it's a Broadway spotlight; for others, a lamplit desk. Use your natural powers -- of persistence, concentration, and insight -- to do work you love and work that matters. Solve problems. make art, think deeply.” -Susan Cain
2. "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover." -Mark Twain
3. “With a hint of good judgment, to fear nothing, not failure or suffering or even death, indicates that you value life the most. You live to the extreme; you push limits; you spend your time building legacies. Those do not die.” -Criss Jami
4. “I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.” Steve Jobs
5. “Don’t ever let anyone tell you that something is too competitive. Once you subtract the people who don’t work very hard, or the people who aren’t as good as you, your competition shrinks dramatically.” –Maggie Mason
6. "I have always found that my view of success has been iconoclastic: success to me is not about money or status or fame, its about finding a livelihood that brings me joy and self-sufficiency and a sense of contributing to the world." -Anita Roddick
7. “It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”- J.K. Rowling
8. “One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.” -André Gide
9. "Once you tell yourself you deserve something you know deep down it should be yours, because in potential it’s already yours (even if you aren’t yet manifesting it), and then you commit to going after that which you deserve, your heart will light up in a way nothing else can set it on fire & fill you with creative energy to make it happen." - Andrea Balt
10. "Allow yourself the freedom to step away from perfection because it is only then that you can find success." -Chase Jarvis
Now get out there and do your thing. It's great to be inspired by others, but remember, do not dwell on the success of your peers. Sometimes it's okay to un-follow your "competition" online. I found myself getting very depressed because I couldn't understand why some of my competitors were getting more business than I, when I had more experience and more talent (sounds cocky, but I thought it was true at the time).
I realize now that I wasn't drawing in the right customers. The ones that I needed were not going to be impressed by my competitors. I didn't need to go after their clients, I needed to find the ones that wanted me. So, I removed all competitors from my feed so that I would stop comparing success. I was so obsessed with how many clients I was getting, rather than the quality of the customers. I learned quickly that it's better to have a few good clients that actually appreciate you than 10,000 awful ones.
Each person's version of success is quite different than the next. Mine is to make a living as an entrepreneur, but also not lose sight of why I wanted to work for myself - to be happy. Perhaps it's not the best mindset for an entrepreneur, but it in my experience, tossing out the jealousy was helpful. I learned a lot more about what I wanted. I actually completely changed my goals. I was able to find what I actually loved doing along the way and now I am happy.