Self Care Ideas for Busy People
This post contains affiliate links...
The world is busy. You're busy. You're off to work, an appointment, then to pick up your child from school. Volunteering, working late, soccer games...Whatever it may be, your schedule is usually full, right? You feel worn out and why would you ever make time for yourself when so many other people need you? I've been there. I've done that. It's not fun, but how will the world survive without you? Relax, it really will be fine. The point is, no matter how busy you are... you truly have to make some time for yourself. I wore myself out so much that I literally had no energy at the end of the day to do the things I enjoyed. I would just go to bed to wake back up and start the cycle again.
It's great to be there for people, but without the proper self care, you're actually doing more harm than good. When you're worn out, the time you spend with people is not as quality as if you had been rested and taken care of. You can't be there for the people that need you the same way if you do not take care of yourself.
Here's a couple tips on how to give yourself some self-care, even if you're a busy individual!
1. Take a nap. Seriously, this won't happen every day, but leave one day out of your week where you can have time for a nap. If you have children, make sure someone is watching them. Turn your phone on silent. You don't want to have any distractions. This nap is a reward for the hard work you've done.
2. Work out. This might seem the very opposite of a nap, and you might be saying, why does this help me relax when I'm already worn out? You don't need to run 10 miles or lift weights at the gym. I'm just saying a small walk or hike, give yourself some time to take a walk in the morning. It's a great way to clear your head before the days start. Endorphin's make you happy, remember?.
3. Create. This varies on what you think creating is. Do you like to write music? Paint? Draw? Color? Knit? Whatever it is, make time for it during your day. The importance of self care is to make time for things you enjoy. Creating helps your mind relax and it also might help spark some good ideas that will get you that promotion at work. ;)
4. Read. Reading is known to slow your heart rate and lower stress levels. Make an effort to read a book with short chapters if you don't have time to read full chapter books. One Minute Mindfulness is a great book for someone with a busy schedule. Each chapter is a quick read, but I find when you read them slowly and then make a conscious effort to apply it to your every day life, it really makes a difference. It's an amazing book for those that don't know how to slow down.
5. Treat yourself. A massage, a facial, a manicure. Whatever it may be that relaxes you and makes you feel refreshed. Take a little more time out of your week for yourself for these special occasions. You deserve it.
6. Breathe. Whether you do yoga, meditate or do nothing at all, take a few minutes out of your day to just concentrate on your breathing. This instantly relaxes you and lets you prepare for the next task. Sit up straight and take a minimum of 10 deep breaths, slowly.
7. Write. I seem to mention this one a lot, but writing is great for self care. You can get out all your thoughts on paper and it will actually help your brain release the stress you may be holding onto. It's not like you need to share what you write with anyone. This is just for you. Ten minutes of writing whether it's what you're thankful for or the things that are bothering you will really make a difference.
Self Care is very important, what other tips do you want to give our readers? On another note, has anyone ever tried the Bella Beat? It's something I've thought about trying but I want to hear real opinions. It's cuter than the Fit Bit but I'm seeing lots of mixed reviews. Let me know in the comments below.